Saturday, May 16, 2009

ACCESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY TO YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS

This is particularly for my fellow citizens in Georgia; however, this is also for all fellow Patriots in America as well:
This is a letter I sent to Saxby Chambliss, with a copy going to Johnny Isaakson and John Barrow (my district's U.S. Representative) using Congress.org:
(The following is an email sent thru Saxby's Senate website earlier this evening)

Saxby, I have sent several concerns regarding current issues within our federal government to you in the past few weejs. I continually get the following reply:
I appreciate hearing from you and knowing your concerns. This automated response serves as a receipt of your e-mail message and allows me to respond to your direct question or comment in a more timely manner. *** If you are having a problem with a specific government agency, the Federal Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I have your written authorization, signed by you, in order to contact the agency about the problem. Since electronic communications do not meet the requirements of the Federal Privacy Act, please call 1-800-234-4208 or visit my website and select "How Can We Help?" from the menu at the left, then select "Help with Federal Agencies" for information on beginning the process.***

However, my issues have not centered on a specific government agency. Thus, how do I get in touch with one of my Senators for help? I have no problem getting responses back from Johnny Isaakson, even though he has yet been able to directly respond to any concerns at hand. What do I need to do to get some kind of response from you that is not an automated response?

(The following is the response I received from Saxby shortly after sending the first email):
Thank you for contacting me. Representing the State of Georgia in the United States Senate is an honor and a privilege. I appreciate hearing from you and knowing your concerns. This automated response serves as a receipt of your e-mail message and allows me to respond to your direct question or comment in a more timely manner. *** If you are having a problem with a specific government agency, the Federal Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I have your written authorization, signed by you, in order to contact the agency about the problem. Since electronic communications do not meet the requirements of the Federal Privacy Act, please call 1-800-234-4208 or visit my website and select "How Can We Help?" from the menu at the left, then select "Help with Federal Agencies" for information on beginning the process.*** Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. I look forward to staying in touch. Very truly yours, Saxby Chambliss

Look familiar?! In my correspondence thru Congress.org, I included this and informed Saxby that I and some fellow Georgian contemporaries whom I have talked/chatted with are fed up with being unable to raise any type of reasonable response from our elected officials in Washington. Even though I don't agree with all of his actions and votes in the House, John Barrow has been very responsive and even agreed with me on some issues and acted on one particular issue as I had recommended (I'm sure he was getting other correspondence to the same effect as what I was requesting). My point to Saxby Chambliss was that we, as Georgians, were becoming (or were already) fed up with the inability to access our elected officials. If this was going to be continued, then we would be handing out pink slips in their next elections. My message to all U.S. citizens is to continue to try to reach your elected representatives in government. If they cannot respond in a reasonable fashion (anything but the same automated response), then it's time to replace them in their next respective elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment